Need a refresher from last month? Check out the December Checklist!
Need to download a copy of the January Checklist? Click here!
- December 1 – January 31: Winter Membership Campaign
- January 5-7: Snap+101 Training
- January 16: All leadership centers closed for Martin Luther King, Jr. Day.
- January 17: Initial Orders due in Snap+ for first on-hand cookies.
Upcoming – For Girls, Troops, and Families
Troops and Girl Scout families can view and register for events around the council from the Events Calendar on our website. You can also find program kits and field trips online!
Be sure to check out upcoming programs near you:
- January 14 – 15: Astronomy Overnight at the Air and Space Museum (Registration Deadline: 1/6)
- January 22: Working with Clay – Scrapbook Frame in Sioux City (Registration Deadline: 1/9)
- February 11: Mt. Kato Ski Trip to Minnesota (Registration Deadline: 1/28)
- March 4: Great Bear Ski Trip to Sioux Falls (Registration Deadline: 2/17)
Camp Registration is Open!
- Camp registration is open now! Encourage your girls to register early – any girl overnight camp registrations submitted by February 1 will get a $35 discount! (Families only need to pay the deposit now, and the rest later.) Camp books will be arriving in households soon – check out this year’s sessions now on the Event List, or view PDF versions of the camp book sections on the Summer Camp page.
Do-It-Yourself Camp Rentals:
- Experience camp with your troop, service unit, or other group this summer – and customize your adventure to do whatever you’re most excited about with a camp rental!
- New this year! Camp Joy Hollow is available exclusively for your service unit or troop camp experience. Spend a day – or spend a few nights! Reserve your camp adventure at girlscoutsiowa.org/rentcamp
Circle of Excellence
We want to bring everyone together for a wonderful spring celebration of the amazing things you’ve accomplished this year. Please save the date for this year’s big event (with an awesome speaker and so much more)!
- When: April 22 from 10:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
- Where: Gateway Center in Ames, IA
- Keep an eye on our website for more information!
World Thinking Day Planning:
- Celebrated since 1926, World Thinking Day – February 22 – is a day of international friendship and speaking out on issues that affect girls and young women. You can earn your World Thinking Day Patch by following the steps outlined in Girl Scouts of the USA’s World Thinking Day page. (Psst..Join us for a World Thinking Day Roundtable on January 12 to talk about ideas with other leaders!)
- The deadline to nominate awesome volunteers for this year’s volunteer awards is fast approaching! Nominate a volunteer in your area for a well-deserved award by February 17 – winners will be recognized at this year’s Circle of Excellence event. Find more information on our Volunteer Awards Bridge post!
Initial Orders for Cookies Due January 17:
- It’s almost time for the 2017 Cookie Program! Your troop’s Initial Order ensures that you have a supply of cookies on-hand to sell at the beginning of the program. Be sure to submit your order by 11:59p.m. on January 17! Check out gsgibridge.com/cookieprogram for resources and videos to help you submit your order.
Building Girl Scouts
Winter Membership Campaign
- We’re also doing our own “cool” winter membership promotion here at GSGI!
- If your troop adds a new girl or volunteer between December 1 and January 31, you’ll be entered into a drawing for five $50 gift cards (that’s one entry per new member)! Check out our Bridge post for more information.
Your Girl Scout Shop
- We want to hear from you! Take our Shop Survey to let us know your thoughts on our hours and more (you can also access the survey by visiting girlscoutsiowa.org and clicking “Shop” in the upper right corner of the page)
Girl Scout Q&A
Q: I don’t see any girls listed in Snap+ for the Cookie Program yet. When will they be there?
A: Girls who have a current 2016-2017 Girl Scout membership will be uploaded into Snap+ by the council starting January 20.
Q: What is my Snap+ log-in? How do I get one?
A: Volunteers must first complete their Service Unit Product Chair or Troop Product Manager Agreement Forms. Once this form is completed, you will receive an email with your username and password. If you do not receive the email with this information, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 800-342-8389.
Q: Where can I find information about the 2017 Cookie Program?
A: You can find links to all of the helpful resources in the 2017 Cookie Guide Bridge post!