It is Early Bird time! Your Girl Scout troop can get a head-start for another great year by renewing your Girl Scout membership for 2016-17 now. Girl and adults can earn special incentives through Early Bird registration. Why wait?
Troop leaders who complete the Early Bird Checklist by June 30 will receive a hedgehog t-shirt – you will be able to pick size and delivery options.
Early Bird Checklist – to launch a fantastic 2016-17 year
- Register at least 5 girls and 2 adults (new or returning members) for the upcoming year – membership fees for 2016-2017 are $15.
- For each troop member, you will see an option for “Renew,” “Don’t Renew,” or “I’ll Decide Later.” If you are not sure, always use the “I’ll Decide Later” option.
- Submit your Troop Finance Report, with no outstanding troop debt.
- The Troop/SU Finance report is required for all troops and service units, with a deadline of June 30.
- Update troop information for the 2016-17 year.
- Complete online trainings for troop leaders: Leading Your Level & Managing Troops and Groups (60-90 minutes each).
- All renewing troop volunteers have completed the “Welcome” step in MyGS (5 minutes)
- If you are a volunteer and haven’t yet completed this step, the Welcome video will be the first thing you see upon logging into MyGS.
All girls who are registered for the 2016-17 year by June 30 will receive a fun patch.
Please note that girls and adults who are receiving their 2016-17 membership through the Girl Scout Cookie Program will be renewed by May 1. As soon as registrations are entered, these members will show as “renewed” for the 2016-17 year.
How to Renew Your Troop or Family Members
Ready to renew? Here’s a breakdown of the most helpful tips and tricks for troops and families:
- For troop renewal, see the Troops tab in your MyGS. Change the drop-down to next year to show renewal options for the upcoming year.
- Print your own signature rosters to have parents/guardians indicate they would like to continue for next year. From the Troops tab, simply go to “Print” on your web browser. Keep your signature roster for your troop records.
- Important! Only use Don’t renew if you are 100% certain that a girl or volunteer is not renewing. If it is in question, use I’ll decide later.
- As you renew troop members, the green “Edit” button will allow you to update contact details for troop members. If a member requires a change in name, birth date, grade, or email, please contact us.
- Important! Request a valid email address for each member of your troop, and submit those details to email@example.com. If a leader’s email address is entered for everyone in the troop, it will impact your ability to log into MyGS. Members may choose whether or not they would like to receive Girl Scout emails.
- Anyone helping with troop meetings or outings should be registered with a volunteer role, and will receive a request to complete a background check. Ask your friends and family network to fill the roles of Troop Support Volunteer, Troop Cookie Manager, Troop Fall Product Manager, or Troop First Aid/CPR Support. And remember, at least two unrelated adults must be listed as Troop Leader with every troop. It takes many hands to run a successful Girl Scout troop, so don’t go it alone!
- Family Tip: Financial Aid for the $15 membership fee must be requested by the parent or guardian of a girl. If a girl needs to renew with financial aid, instruct her parent/guardian to log into their MyGS account.
- Leaders can ADD A NEW MEMBER TO TROOP! New adult volunteers will receive emails to complete the background check. For new girls, the leaders must receive parent permission before adding them to the troop.
- Leaders can now access troop renewals year-round!
- Family Tip: All parents also have a MyGS login, where they can renew, edit information, and find additional Girl Scout opportunities.
Now your troop is set for success, and can hit the ground running this fall! We can’t wait to hear all of the amazing things you’ll do next year.
Have any questions? Give us a call at 800-342-8389, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org — we’re here to help!