You don’t have to be an expert scientist to do fun and educational activities relating to STEM (science, technology, engineering and math) with your Girl Scouts.
We’re thrilled to offer a brand-new hands-on training to volunteers to help you feel confident when your troop tackles STEM projects – at a cost of just $5!
What will the training be like?
SciGirls is an Emmy-award winning PBS KIDS television series and website dedicated to changing the way millions of girls think about STEM. Local educators are invited to participate in a hands-on, minds-on Professional Development Training hosted by the Science Center of Iowa. We welcome you to practice proven strategies for engaging girls in STEM while building a device to measure wind speed, lighting up a room with dough creatures, and much more!
Participants attending this workshop will:
- Learn the latest research for exciting and engaging girls (and boys) in STEM
- Experience hands-on STEM activities
- Learn how to modify activities to engage kids in STEM using the SciGirls Seven
- Discover additional online resources that enhance teaching and learning experiences
for all kids.
When and where will the trainings take place?
- February 20: 8:30 -11:30 a.m. at the Science Center of Iowa. Deadline to register: 2/15
- March 22: 6:00 – 7:30 p.m. at the Ames Public Library. Deadline to register: 3/17
- April 2: 8:30 – 11:30 a.m. at the Science Center of Iowa. Deadline to register: 3/28
You can register for one of the three scheduled training dates using the links above.
How can I spread the word to other volunteers?
We’ve created a flyer with all of the important information about these awesome training opportunities. Feel free to email it or print it to hand out to to other volunteers who might be interested.
We hope to see you soon at one of these unique workshops!