As a Girl Scout, you are part of a special network of girls that stretches across the world. On February 22 of each year, Girl Scouts and Girl Guides from 146 countries celebrate World Thinking Day (WTD)—that’s one BIG celebration!
World Thinking Day is not only a great opportunity to rally the global sisterhood around a particular theme—it’s also a chance to support girls as they travel internationally, connect with sister Girl Guides, and take action globally.
The theme for 2016 World Thinking Day is “Connect” — here are 6 great ways that you and your troop can gear up to “connect” during your celebration.
- Volunteers – join us for one of the upcoming World Thinking Day & Global Action Roundtable calls on January 26 from 6:30-7:30 p.m. or January 28 from 12:00-1:00p.m.! We’ll talk about the celebration, explore related badges, view available resources, hear from experienced volunteers, and share ideas with each other.
- One of the themes this year is connect with “me” – Help your troop get to know themselves better by encouraging them to keep a “happiness diary” for a week – or even a month! Before they go to bed each night, have the girls write down three things that made them happy during their day—or draw pictures of them! On World Thinking Day, look back and what your troop has written and celebrate everyone’s wins.
- Connect with friends – Connection is friendship and friendship is happiness. So what makes a good friend? Connect with someone you care about, make a new friend, and explore the relationships that matter to you. You could hold a “Bring a Friend” event with the girls in your troop or group. Plan an outing—like a trip to the park—and have each girl bring someone new to join in the fun.
- Connect with the world – Look wider and see how you can make a difference in the places you care about. Your troop could learn about another country that is home to Girl Guides or Girl Scouts. Then, with your troop or group, celebrate its culture. You might dress up in costumes, sing songs, or make traditional foods from the country!
- Gear up for your celebration! World Thinking Day and Global Action awards are available in our council shops and online.
- Connect, share and celebrate – Share your WTD 2016 adventure and connect with Girl Guides and Girl Scouts around the world. Send us your story here!