Need a refresher from last month? Click here for the September Service Unit Checklist!
Be sure to renew your membership (and your troop’s memberships) through MyGS!
MyGS is your Girl Scout member community where you can renew memberships by family or troop and log into the Volunteer Toolkit. Remember, troop leaders who have not yet registered by October 1 will lose the ability to view the Volunteer Toolkit and complete online Troop Renewal through MyGS!
If you need your password: Go to the “MyGS” portal and click the “Forgot Password” link to reset your information. Use the email that you gave the council to register! Please share that with parents/families as well – all members and parents/guardians have a MyGS account.
Join us for an awesome weekend at camp for the Fall Leader Retreat on October 23 – 25.
Our Fall Volunteer Retreat is a weekend of sessions to enhance your experience as a volunteer and making a difference in a girl’s life. Register for the event here, but be sure to check out our Fall Leader Retreat Info Sheet for descriptions of the available sessions, and helpful details on what to bring!
The Volunteer Toolkit is here! Check out this amazing resource for troop leaders.
The Volunteer Toolkit (VTK) provides new digital resources for troop leaders – including step-by-step meeting planning guides for K-5 troop leaders, based on the Girl Scout journeys and badges. Plus, leaders of all grade levels have a troop view where you can streamline communication with parents, customize your calendar, and create an outline for your whole year!
How do I access the Volunteer Toolkit? It’s easy! You can renew your membership and access the Volunteer Toolkit through one easy “MyGS” portal. This portal is accessible on our website by clicking on the gold “MyGS” link in the main navigation.
Keep an eye out later this month for some great video resources about the VTK!
We’re making it easier for families to find troops near them – you can help!
Have you heard about the Girl Scout Opportunity Catalog? The Opportunity Catalog offers easier entry into Girl Scouting and better visibility for parents about how girls can participate by allowing them to search for troops by zip code. In addition, troop leaders will receive an instant email notification (with contact information) when a new member joins your troop. Parents will be able to view how many volunteers are currently supporting a troop, and what opportunities are available for them to get involved.
How can your Service Unit support the Opportunity Catalog? Encourage troop leaders to update their troop information to display in catalog. The more information available for new parents and families, the more girls have a chance to participate!
Subscribe to the Shout Out for all of your Product Program news.
The Shout-Out is a weekly email to guide volunteers through our Fall Product Program and Cookie Program. If you’re not receiving the Shout-Out each Thursday evening, you can sign up here.
We have streamlined the required forms for Girl Scout activities!
- The form previously called the Event Activity Application is no longer required. If your troop or service unit is planning an activity including horseback riding, water activities or swimming at a location without staff lifeguards, submit those requests for council permission.
- For troop or service unit overnights or trips, see the Event/Activity/Trip Checklist for all of your planning steps, including the required Overnight/Trip Application.
- Is your service unit or troop planning a fun event that you would like to invite all Girl Scouts to attend? Submit the Event Listing Request Form eight weeks prior to your event to have it listed on our online calendar and open for online registration. Girls will be able to use 2015 Munch Money and 2016 Cookie Dough for troop and service unit events that are open to members from across the council!
- All members should re-register before October 1. Troop leaders who have not yet registered will lose the ability to view the Volunteer Toolkit and complete online Troop Renewal through MyGS
- Be sure to submit your 2015-2016 Volunteer Agreements.
- Remind troops to hold a parent meeting.
- Get to know the families of the girls, plan for upcoming activities, and find additional volunteers for the troops.
- 2016 Destinations application materials are due November 1! Refer to our Apply for Travel page for details.
- Special training session for volunteers at the Science Center of Iowa – November 14.
- Fun fall programs for girls are happening across the council – see our Event Calendar.
- Don’t forget to start planning your event for our founder, Juliette Gordon Low’s birthday on October 31! Use our “Share Your Story” form to submit cool photos of your event.